Saturday, May 2, 2009

Super-Saturday

It has been an eventful Saturday!

  • I woke up slept in until 8 and then got up to get ready for the farmers market with my mom. I did my regular routine of vitamins before making my tea.. Well my multi-chewable (yes i still take chewable vitamins, including the gummy ones) fell on the floor and let's just say that Kiki got her extra nutrients this morning! I thought about taking it from her but she was just way too entertaining to watch so I let her enjoy it. i figured she'd be okay.



    =








  • Got ready and hit up the farmers market with my mom. She was a first-timer and loved it! We both got tons of veggies and fruit including buckets of CHERRIES! Don't' worry, afterwards we walked over to Trader Joe's to get my daily supply of yogurt and bat my eyes at the cute cashier from last week!



  • I got these lovely daffodils from TJs! I love how fresh flowers totally girly up our condo!












  • My mom headed to a dentist appt. (i know, who goes on a Saturday!?) and I was totally spontaneous and decided to try out this indoor rock climbing place since they have a climb-hour on Saturdays! It was a lot of fun and a great strength training workout since I can't run right with my knee.
  • I headed over to my beloved Whole Foods to pick up a couple energy bars and a tea. While I was browsing the isles, I noticed this mom who was holding her adopted/foster daughter down on the floor who was obviously not well. I guess the girl was having a breakdown and has a lot of emotional issues and kept trying to run off unless the mom held her down. I asked if there was anything I could do to help.

    The poor mom felt helpless so I just started talking to the girl and trying to distract her from whatever it was she was upset about.. asked her about her HS Musical tee shirt, etc...Do you know what worked?!?! Let's backtrack: I stopped in WF partly to grab one of those White Chocolate Macadamia Cliff Bars that all of you girls keep raving about... I asked the girl if she wanted to sit down in the isle and split it with me. Once I opened up the package, i knew I had her! hahah. Not only is that bar delicious but it was a lifesaver. She ate the whole thing! ( i did try a piece though and ya'll are right--it's goooood!)

    Finally with the girl sitting down without running off or in tears, I offered to stay with her while the mom went to go do her grocery shopping. One of the WF boys helped us out and gave us some Snackimals cookies and juice boxes to keep us occupied ;) I found out from the girl (Skyler/ 12 y.o.) that her mom had died from leukemia and her dad wanted nothing to do with her bc he lived in Florida... She is also being adopted next week! What a stressful time for her!

    About 20 min later, her "mom" finished her shopping and came back for her and her son who was also hanging out with us. The best part is that when we were hanging out and talking about how cute Zach Efron is, she told me that her HSM shirt was too small (length-wise).. I told her that she should ask her mom nicely to get her a new High School Musical 2 &3 shirt if she shows her she can be good. I also taught her how to use her girlish charm by "batting her eyes and smiling really big and it would work every time! hahah. (bad lessons, i know!) yes, we practiced batting our eyes while sitting and munching on Snackimals! So when her mom came back, she absolutely batted her eyes with this huge pleasing grin and said "If' i'm good, can you get me a new HS Musical shirt?" Mom said yes and I replied "seeeee, works every time!" hahaha.

    Skyler gave me a huge hug upon leaving and told me I was her best friend... aww, what a sweet girl! Can i adopt her?! ha, if only. I checked out and headed home for a much needed nap!
  • Got home and ended up cleaning the entire downstairs of my condo to compliment my new flowers ;) Rewarded myself with this HUGE mug/bowl of iced chocolate almond milk with vanilla stevia and soy whip cream.. holllller! ha :)

    The phone is in there for size reference ;)





  • About 8:30, I was finally hungry for some dindin.. Instead of photographing my FM buys, I figured I'd photograph a salad I made with all of 'em! This HUGE salad (which is the first one that i couldn't finish!) included arugula, rainbow chard, jumbo asparagus, crimini mushrooms, garlic onions, broccoli, POPS Parmesan & Garlic, with TJs eggplant hummus!

  • Tonight, I'm just chillaxin (yes, i just used that word!)!! Tomorrow= dance class if I can manage through it with my gimp knee.
  • Last night, some girlfriends and I saw Ghosts of Girlfriends Past.. cute movie. Not an Oscar nominee but entertaining nonetheless :) We also went to sushi and I ordered spring rolls thinking they were the ones wrapped in rice paper.. Didn't realize they were DEEP FRIED! Yuck aka Freakout aka What do I do now?! I ate the inside of one and a couple pieces of tuna before calling it quits. Luckily, i blamed it on the huge wrap I had for lunch!
  • Lastly, for those that asked, the graduate schools that I plan to apply to (getting accepted is a whole other worry) include:
    - Columbia (Masters of Science in Education and Neuroscience)
    - San Francisco State (Masters in Psychological Research with focus in Cog. Science)
    - UC Davis (Ph.D in neuroscience and cognitive science)
    - UC Irvine (same program but I really dont want to stay in So Cal)
    - UC Berkeley (Yes, stef! hahah i'm applying there too!) (Same as UCI and UCD)
    - University of Arizona (Same as above)


    My first choice is the Columbia because of their program, then SFSU because of the area!! We'll see! I start my GRE course for the second time, tomorrow. Hopefully it goes better this time around!
  • OFF TO BED! Looking forward to catching up on everyone's weekend extravaganzas!

11 comments:

  1. You just made my list of 'nicest people I've ever met' :P Seriously, it was so good of you to help that lady out and make friends with Skyler. She must have felt so much better having someone come and talk to her completely out of the blue, not because they HAD to but because they saw that she was upset and wanted to help. It's people like you who make the world a better place ;)
    Hehe, it's funny about Kiki getting her vitamins - my dogs would steal mine if I gave them half a chance too!
    I hope the rest of your weekend is nice and relaxing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you do realise that if you go to Columbia, you have to meet me when I come to NY, right?!

    That story was SO sweet- what a hard time the girl is having :( What you did was nothing short of amazing! Very few people would get involved seeing something like that, let alone take 20 mins out of their time to be so caring/kind/sweet/compassionate/friendly to someone they don't know.

    I eat gummy vitamins too...and gummy omega supplements and chewy calcium. of course I don't pretend it's candy *whistles innocently*

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, girl! You made the girls day!! That story is SO sweet, and im sure her 'mom' was very thankful as well! It kinda reminds me of tiby and bailey in sisterhood of the traveling pants :)

    girl...i STILL take flinstones vitamins. i eat that shit like its candy. :)

    Hope you have a fantastic weekend, and I know you'll get accepted into the school thats right for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Skyler story made my morning :) How sweet of you!! Awww...
    Good luck with grad school apps! Those are all such great schools!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, what a sweet story. I'm sure you were that mother's lifesaver!

    Good luck with grad schools; those are big names, and I'm sure you'd do great at any of them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg you are the patron saint of whole foods! That was so nice of you, it sounds like you just have the magic touch and can relate to people really well, not that I'm surprised! You'll make an awesomeee neurosci prof :) I'm SO HAPPY about your grad school choices, any one of those would be an amazing school but of course you know which one I'm praying for! YUM that salad looks tasty; when we finally hang out, if I ever order something that comes laced with nasty mushrooms, I'll pass them to you bc you're a fungus queen. HAHA I kid I kid. I hope cutie TJs boy is there every shopping trip you take! And unfortunately your mom isn't the only Saturday dentist-goer, my last appt was on a sat morn, blah! Hope you have a great Monday, when is your 1st group sesh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your story about the girl in WF made my morning. I'm so glad that there are people in the world who are as caring nd sweet as you are. Stories like this renew my faith in humanity. Thank you!

    Have a wonderful day!

    <3 Emma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that you had a great time at the Farmers Market! I'm such a huge fan! Love the salad picture.
    Hope you had a "Super" Sunday too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the comment! And I'm glad you found me because I love your blog. I cannot wait to read more--AWESOME WF story. So sweet :) About your question--I actually did not buy the bowl. I asked for it from my grandparents and they happily gave it to me. I will ask them where they got it though! Sorry I don't have a definite answer!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. you're stef's soulmate right?thank you for stopping by. ;)

    do you still live in france?i can't tell you how much i love paris. im even considering study there (if im lucky enough to be accepted), i hope i will.

    poor little girl orphan... i feel so sorry for her :( it was really lovely of you to help her, believe me, she'll never forget it.

    hey good luck with the universities!!
    have a lovely night =***

    ReplyDelete