Friday, May 8, 2009

Casual Friday??

Today started off good...

I was up early. Kiki and I had a long walk and it was a beautiful morning. My breakfast was mindful, intuitive and included 1/2 frozen banana stuffed with PB2, and Fage yogurt topped with cereal... I also had showered before bed the night before which cut my "getting ready" time in half. I was in a great mood.

...Then came work.

<-- This isn't me.. it's a picture stolen from the J. Crew catalog. However, this is a replica of the outfit I wore to work today for casual Friday (except I had on grayish shorts with a blue button up and some kitten heels).

I work at a law firm that consists of 4 other people. 3 of them were in the office today- my lawyer, the office manager, and the receptionist. The lawyer gets in and says "You look nice and very professional today."

(Thanks.)

Office manager: "Are you wearing shorts?"
Me: "umm, yes?"
OM: "You can't wear shorts."
Me: "I'm sorry. I thought since they were the long kind, that they'd be appropriate."
OM: "no."
Me: "Would you like me to go home and change?"
OM: "no, don't worry about it.. Just don't do it again."

She goes back to her side of the office, and I go back to work. Feeling like a child that has just been reprimanded, I emailed her saying I could go home and put pants on if she'd prefer... basically just trying to please her so it wasn't an awkward situation.

Instead of answering my question about changing, I get an email back saying that she doesn't want me to learn bad habits and it isn't appropriate, blah blah blah. She ends the email by saying that she would appreciate my cooperation in this.

ummm, didn't really answer my question!! This always seems to be the case--I can never get a straight answer to a simple question. Do you want me to change or not? Instead, she would much rather take something simple and blow it up. I replied with:

"That's fine and I apologize. I wasn't trying to be unprofessional and thought since they are longer khaki shorts that they would be okay, especially with a professional top.
Does that mean I should run home or no?"


Finally, she emailed back with "if you could"... ummmm, did i not just ask that from the very beginning. That's the part that is just so aggravating. Seems like we had to run around in circles just to get back to the very starting point.

I feel like I put so much effort into college, studying, doing well, and all so that I could end in a job where they not only sweat the small stuff, but they magnify it!

I'm done venting.

The afternoon got better, despite my lingering frustration. I went to lunch with my friend Rachel from dance class and we enjoyed a huge salad from Souplantation!! Tomorrow's the Farmer's Market and that means I get to stash up on some more sweet potatoes!! holllla!

I hope you all are having a great day. I would appreciate if you think I'm being out of line with the work situation because I don't want to be a brat! I feel like I've always been a team player when it comes to work but that this woman just looks for stuff to blame me for so she can put me down and raise herself up. Any input is appreciated!!

Lots of love, bloggies!!
L


14 comments:

  1. Dude, I would be venting too! WTF?! Those are completely appropriate and professional. Don't sweat it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a bitch!! ummm...it IS casual isnt it? last time i checked, school teachers wear much worse than khaki shorts to school on casual dress days. my 2nd grade teacher used to wear mini skirts all the time. im sure you looked much better and more professional than her, regardless.

    have a great night sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call me crazy, but it seems as though it should come from the lawyer, NOT the office manager. I would say that SHE has issues. How frustrating!
    Glad that the day improved for you, and that you are looking forward to the farmer's market. tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, your outfit was both super cute and professional. Was it court worthy? Probably not. Was it fine for working IN the law firm, totally.
    I think you are in the right, and she needs to relax.

    The rest of the day sounds good though! Have a great time at the farmer's market!

    Love
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  5. WTF?!? I smell jealousy!! Crazy lady is probably just bitter that you have amazing style and can put a better outfit together in your sleep than she could if she PAID the guys from Queer Eye to do it for her! I don't think your outfit was unprofessional AT ALL, does this lady not understand what CASUAL friday means?? Tard! I'm so sorry that she couldn't just be direct with you...I mean if she REALLY had a problem with your outfit then why not just tell you to go home and change in the first place! It seems really roundabout and passive-aggressive of her! I think you handled it really well, I am suchhhh a baby and get really caught up in pleasing people (especially in a work setting!) and am so scared of their judgment that I probably would have burst out in tears and they would have had to SEND me home, not for the shorts but because I'd be a total basket case! Lol! I think that lady needs some lessons in 1. minding her own damn business, your attire wasn't hurting ANYONE 2. being more tactful and UP FRONT with people, none of this underhanded shit! If she has something to say, then spit it out! Jebus!

    I'm so glad that this incident was just a little blip in your otherwise wonderful day! Souplantation yeeeee! OMG I'm so excited for you to stock up on sweet potatoes, have fun at the FM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you were being a brat at all, it's not your fault that your boss decided to go into circular-boss-talk mode and not give you a straight answer. It was an honest mistake, you didn't realise, you apologised anyway and offers to go change. If anything I think you were too apologetic about it all! I hope you're feeling better now <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds really unfair- first of all, anywhere I have worked which has a "casual" day, that would have been perfectly acceptable to wear (as opposed to torn jeans and a low-cut tank top). And not giving you a stright answer is just rude. Can I ask what your job is? I didn't know you worked at a law firm! I love the outfit BTW- I wear a similar outfit to work but black shorts over thick tights because it's so cold here, lol.

    Don't sweat it. Sounds like her problem, not yours. What do others wear for casual Friday?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tend to get really infuriated on other people's behalf, and this is one of those times. Why does your boss have an issue with LONG shorts? GEEZ! That's ridiculous in this day and age. Most places allow JEANS! Plus, your boss was really rude. I mean, you asked her directly if you should change (good for you, speaking up!) and she said no, then she passive-aggressively used email to berate you further. I would have been PISSED! Sounds like you moved past it though! Kudos to you :)

    Have fun at the farmer's market. I can't make it today, but I'll let you know about another weekend. Next weekend, I'm taking my mom to English tea in Pasadena...but, I swear, one of these weekends will work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's ridiculous.She definitely has some issues she should work on! And even if she wanted to comment,why did she go beating round the bush in the first place!Don't even bother, she's just being a BITCH!

    Enjoy your trip to the farmers market!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you were dressed up for casual Friday! Even the lawyer said you looked nice. I can't believe the office manager had the nerve to say something to you and beat around the bush about whether or not you needed to go home and change. Office managers can be very tacky and rude and controlling...don't let it get you down. She obviously has major communication issues!

    Glad you were able to get out with your friend for lunch!

    Hope the weekend was better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the outfit is perfectly fine. Totally professional looking. Sorry it happened. But don't worry about it!
    Take care, hope you had a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the outfit is adorable--totally professional. Sorry for the office trouble. That's really frustrating. Yummy breakfast!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that is ridiculous. You're outfit is completely professional and so cute. Sorry about all the frustration at work.

    Take Care sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok when I first saw the outfit I was like man thats what I need to get for next year when I need professional clothes! I can't believe your office manager was being such a jerk!!!! At least you know your outfit was cute and professional, even the lawyer said so!

    ReplyDelete