Monday, May 25, 2009

The Irish who brought me Irises...

Happy Memorial Day weekend!! I feel pretty strongly that all weekends should be 3 days long!! I have to admit that although I miss catching up on every one's blogs over the weekend, I love being so far from my computer! And what was I up to during my lack of posting?

  • Saturday morning, I went to the farmers market with one of the lovely girls from Blogworld and had such a blast! It was so refreshing being around someone that I didn't have to put on a fake face for... Plus, it's a lot more fun to shop for fruit & veggies, and do the grocery shopping for the week when you're with good company :)
  • Sunday, I had 2 great dance classes and then headed down to San Diego for Date #2

  • Last night was date #2. TJ boy brought me Irises that he gave to me at the end of the date. We went to a beautiful restaurant on the beach and watched the sunset and talked over a couple of drinks and appetizers.
  • For the appetizers, he picked artichoke hearts and a ahi tuna roll... I figured it was a great choice until they arrived and both were fried!! There was no way out so I ate them, enjoyed them, and realized I could either ruin this date for myself by obsessing about the food in front of me or I could forget about it and enjoy the cute boy in front of me :) I chose the latter.
  • This was our view from our table... Poor me, right?! ;)

  • This morning, after staying at my Aunt and Uncle's house with my cousin, we all got up and had breakfast together. It was really nice. They had potatoes and eggs while I had left over peach and cranberry cobbler from the night prior. So delicious! There's a high possibility that some yogurt covered raisins made their way onto my cobbler ;)
    I'm not one to believe much in signs but my Yogi tea bag from this morning said "Let things come to you" and I thought it was very fitting for what is going on in my life and not trying to force life, love, travel, etc..
  • My Aunt, Little C, and I headed off to the gym where I got a great interval workout in on the treadmill. That cobbler, tea, and a fun night out gave me some lasting energy!!
  • I'm now watching the season finale of In Treatment with my momma so I'm signing off for the night and leaving ya'll with some shitty cell phone pictures of eats. :)
I took my grandma to Mother's Market on Friday night for dinner and as you can tell, she is thoroughly enjoying her Mediterranean faux "Chicken" pasta.

She's actually not doing too well as she fell out of her bed the other night and hit her face on the night stand. My aunt and I spent most of Saturday trying to fix her bed to make it shorter but it only led into a frustrating tear session for my g-ma. She knows her time isn't much more and I think that's where a lot of her fear is coming from. When I went to help her up out of her chair, she grabbed me and started crying and wouldn't let go. :( I feel helpless and not sure how to help her. All she knows is that we have an agreement that when she feels she's ready to "go" that she has to give me a months notice.


I had the biggest sweet potato I've ever seen (that's what she said! Sorry, i couldn't resist!), smothered with black beans, steamed veggies, and a side of bbq sauce. It's fed me through the weekend!



My bowl of Kamut Puffs that PUFFED up my Fage yogurt!! There's some strawberries hiding at the bottom...

My cheeseburger salad with a Flame-grilled garden burger, sharp cheddar, spinach, sweet potatoes and everything pretzels from TJs.

I made on of those breakfast cookies that I keep seeing on here with 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1 scoop protein powder, 1/4 cup fiber one, 1/4 cup soy milk, 1/4 cup water. Soaked overnight and heated in the morning in the microwave+ a side of yogurt= my new favorite breakfast!

And now, it's time for the season finale with Paul!!!



Enjoy what's left of the long weekend! It's officially summer!!!! Good night all,



L

15 comments:

  1. Num num, cobbler?!? Sounds really tasty. And I am SO PROUD of you for just going with the flow at dinner with TJ!! That's awesome! That view is killer, which I'm sure brought your anxiety down a tad too, right?

    Aww, your poor grandma! Actually, I feel worse for you. It's much harder to be the person WATCHING and caring and loving than to be the one actually experiencing it (or so I've heard, I've obviously never been old before..) She is so lucky to have you Lauren! Really, I know that even if she's scared and confused, she can still feel comforted by you and it sounds like she trusts you so much. That's really special, to have a solid relationship with your gma! And I think it's adorable that you bring her to mother's market!!! And I like your "agreement" with her :)

    JEALOUS that you got to meet up with a fellow blogger! AND a FM was involved? I'm dying! Sounds like a pretty great weekend, I hope Tuesday is good to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!!! so excited about the date!! i think it must have been so nice with that gorgeous sunset...

    im very sorry about your grandma. i really do. i think that the best you can do is keep loving her and making her company as much as you can because you will remember this so much. its not easy to see someone you love to suffer so i admire you for being strong. love her all you can... she can feel it and its really important!!

    ok, i really want that ginormous sweet potato! ha ha all the eats look soooooooooo delish!!
    its great that you had a wonderful long weekend!!
    =*****

    ReplyDelete
  3. TJ Boy looks like a keeper. :)

    The eats look great. :) Especially the sweet potato.

    I'm sorry to hear about your grandma - I know my grandma was like that for a very long time (3 years?) before she passed last September. Cherish the time you have with her.

    Love,
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. leftover cobbler = breakfast of Kings. TJ boy sounds great and so glad you pushed through your fears about the food and enjoyed the date!

    Sorry about your grandma- send her some get well hugs from me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sweet potato looks great, but he's not a patch on my Spudzilla from a few weeks ago :p
    I am sorry your grandma isn't doing too well <3
    I'm really glad your date was good though! Well done for coping with the unexpected frying :) absolutely the right attitude, food shouldn't get in the way of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi darlin!

    what an AWESOME weekend! i am LOVING this new guy - he seems so sweet! but besides that, i am beyond proud of you for just going with the flow, food-wise; that's life for you, and you're seriously doing it. that's amazing. just amazing!

    sorry about your grandma, she seems like such a sweetheart - i'll be thinking about you and her!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a beautiful view on your date! How romantic :-) hehe. I love your cereal bowl too. I've been thinking I need to jazz up my meal times with some cool plates and bowls :) It's so sweet of you to take your grandma out. I imagine it's really hard to see her suffer in any way... I get very emotional about these things.
    Talk to you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think weekends should be 6 days long :)
    I'm sorry about your Grandma, I really feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey sweets!

    It sounds like you had a pretty amazing memorial day weekend. I am so happy that you did not freak out with the fried appetizers but just chose to enjoy the treat and enjoy the boy. You sound to be doing great.

    Take Care!~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks very muchly for following my blog. I hope you enjoy readine mine as much as I love reading yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for you for telling ED to suck it during your date!!!
    So proud of you!
    :-)
    Sorry about your grandma. She will be in my thoughts and prayers. I think just letting her know how much you love her is all you can do. Cherish the good times you have left.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cute boy, Irises and the view must have made the date perfect! Glad you chose the latter option, when you have such a great moment going on, it would be stupid to ruin it with fuss over food!!

    I am so sorry about your grandma and you are really sweet to take so much care of her!! I think just comfort her and make the most of the time you have with her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on conquering those negative thoughts and focusing on your cute date! Sounds wonderful :)

    I'm sorry about your grandma, it is so hard to watch our loved ones struggle, I will keep your family in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's a breakfast cookie waiting for me in my fridge as I type this. I hope your grandma feels better, I had one die 3 months before I was born and my other one has dementia so she doesn't know who I am...it must be really nice to have a great relationship with yours.

    To answer your ?, yes I did like that cappuccino flavor Spiru-tein, one of my favorites actually... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am SOOOO proud of you babe! Thats really an accomplishment to just do something like that - i, personally, would've had a meltdown right at the table lol.

    im srry to hear your grandma isnt doing so well..my great grandma is kinda in the same boat right now. she's been in and out of the hospital for breathing problems..and you can tell she's ready to go. my mom went and saw her a month ago and said shes lookin pretty rough..and now i kind of have this feeling in the back of my throat that she's waiting for me to get there and come see her before she'll go, because we've always been very close and im her angel. it sounds like you and your grandma are also extremely close..and you better have made that woman sign a contract about the one months notice!!! :)

    love you girly girl!

    ReplyDelete