Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Post Mother's Day

What a busy weekend!! It took me a good portion of yesterday to catch up on blogs and I still haven't read a lot of them! I didn't check my computer once over the weekend because we were on the go non-stop! It looks like everyone had a lovely Mother's Day though!!

First and foremost, I wanted to thank everyone for their wonderful comments to me regarding Friday's post!! It totally brightened up my day and relieved a lot of the anxiety I was having! It still amazes me how supportive you bloggies are!! I'm very thankful to "know" each of you!!



Friday:


  • Changed out of my "inappropriate" outfit ;)


  • Drove down to San Diego after work to have a girls night with my two cousins (20 and 17). We had a laid back night... Went grocery shopping for my cousin (she had to pick up groceries for her apartment back at school) at Trader Joe's. I ended up walking out with some chocolate almond milk, Fage yogurt, white bean basil hummus, and a phone number of the cute boy that was behind the "samples bar"... Actually, when my younger cousin ran back in there to grab something, he gave it to her to give to me :) hahaha. I knew I liked Trader Joe's!


  • I only had some mushrooms with hummus for dinner before I SD so I allowed myself to guiltlessly have frozen yogurt that night while we watched movies in bed. I usually never let myself have more than a few bites of fro yo because it's a trigger food but this night, I was very intuitive and enjoyed every last bit!


Saturday




  • Woke up from knee pain at 7:30, so went downstairs and watched cooking shows on Food Network with my Aunt. She loves to cook (total opposite of her sister aka my mom), but she also has some OE issues with food and although I love her so much, part of my ED is that I would become that. Is that horrible to say?


  • We had tea and talked until the rest of the house woke up. Made some oatmeal, which I enjoyed with PB chips and some trail mix! (woo hooo!) No pics, sorry!


  • We headed up to Orange County later in the morning to hang out with my grandma and take her out to eat for a pre-Mother's Day!! (Souplantation!)


  • I love hanging out with my 2 cousins since I never grew up with sisters. The older one, courtney, and I have some issues but in all, it was a great evening!


  • My younger cousin, Cathryn, ended up staying at my place Saturday night instead of going back to SD with her mom. I knew that she had body image issues but found out while we were talking that night, that she had been B&P over the last couple of weeks. I wasn't really sure how to go about addressing it without coming off as parental. She knows I'm trying to recover from ED and so my only plea was to not let ED rob her of what it did me. I just hope it's one of those things that she doesnt want to find out on her own.

    A lot of her issues come from being the youngest and her older sister getting all of the attention due to her severe knee problems, resulting in Cathryn being left out in the dust. I've also heard my Aunt make some ED remarks to C like "you could lose a couple.." or "that dress makes you look fat"... C has such an amazing spirit and is such a gorgeous girl.. I just dont want to see her turn to starvation or BP as an answer!


    Any Advice?


  • Aside from all that, in officially 1 month and 1 day, I will be on a flight to JFK airport in NYC for a week long vacation with my dad and brother!!! Seriously, can't wait!! Plan on checking out Columbia while i'm there and see if I can "see myself" attending that school!!

Sorry for being such a lame blogger! I know everyone has had super busy weekends with Mothers Day, graduation, finals, etc, etc, etc... I want to wish Lauryn congratulations on her graduation and becoming an alumni! I also want to wish Jaime a "pre" congrats and good luck on her graduation this weekend!!!


Hope everyone is having a lovely Tuesday!!



:) L

11 comments:

  1. Wow, that's tough with your cousin. I mean, if someone had told me to be careful with my ED, I would have thought, "Ok, right, it's not that bad." In some ways, she will have to learn things for herself. BUT, you can let her know you love her and are there for her. That's probably the biggest weapon against the ED -- letting people know that they matter. That's tough though...
    I'm glad you had such a good time with them :) Sounds nice! NY will be SO much fun :)
    Almost forgot -- that's so cute about the TJ's guy. I wonder when he'll call :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Trader Joe's, How I love thee. I need to go soon...

    I hope your cousin gets some help. I'm sure you didn't sound parental - just concerned. I bet hearing it from someone who has gone through something similar helped.

    Love,
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey love, thanks for stopping by my humbly obnoxious blog :P

    It's sounds like you have a fabulous weekend. I kinda understand your situation with your cousin. My best friend's sister is struggling, and I wasn't sure what to do. I think the best is to offer a non-judgmental ear to listen, and share your story honestly. My thoughts and hugs are with both of you <3

    Have a great night :D
    <3 Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for cute boys at TJ's and good food! :-)

    Great job with the intuitive eating on the yogurt, too. I think it's ok to voice your fears...always helps me to recognize mine and face them.

    I love PB chips in my oats, too!

    Keep being the positive example for your cousin. I think Jenn ^ is right...sharing your story and struggles is the best thing to do. Or maybe even voicing your concerns to your aunt to stop those comments?

    Have a lovely night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess dealing with body issues and ED is more of a personal struggle and everyone learns from their own experiences. It is hard to explain others cuz there is always a possibility that the other person may misconstrue. I say that coz when I was dealing with that myself, I felt everyone was just making fun of me even if they tried being concerned!

    Wow looks like you had a fun weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LADY it sounds like TJ's is YOUR place! Isn't there a cute checkout boy at the Irvine one too? Yeehaw! What a busy weekend you had...I'm so glad that your cousin was able to open up to you about her struggles...it seems like EDs run really strong in your family. That's so rough, I feel like it's hard for you to give her "advice" but as her cousin you can just support her and let her learn from your hellish experience so that she might get help NOW instead of letting the ED take over her life. It sounds like you did the best possible thing for her! UGH and how rude of your aunt to say that stuff, so unnecessary! Oh and great job with the froyo...next step is to not have to cut back on your dinner at all in order to allow yourself to have froyo...all in good time! You're doing so great twinny! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. so great the cute boy phone number thing... aww i miss that (hahaha its terrible to say this i know but i do miss that).

    hey so great to hear you had a lovely mothers day!! yay for frozen yogurt!!!!!

    so sorry for your cousin, its really bad for her and i hope she wont "go" this "way". i have this innapropriate comments, it really fucks everything up. argh.

    did i ever tell you i LOOOOOVE your name? Elle!! so pretty...

    have a lovely day, girl!! =***

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh babe..thats terrible to hear about your cousin :( That is such a tough situation too! Considering the fact that you are going through your own issues with b&p, although I know you want to take care of her and make sure she doesnt have to go through everything that you did, you are still the most important person to take care of. I would try to not base it so much on stopping binging and purging, but teaching a happy and healthy lifestyle. Eating right, and exercising properly. That really is too bad though, that her mom makes comments to her like that - maybe something needs to be said to her so she'll stop making comments about it. Easier said, than done, i know..but that poor girl MUST be affected by those rude comments. Some people dont quite understand how the littlest words can do so much to a person's self esteem. Just try to set a healthy, happy example for her and hopefully, not only will it help her, but maybe it will also help you out too!

    DAMMMNNN - GET IT GIRL!!! Exactly like you said on my post - back in the skeletal days, guys didnt even take a second look at me. NOW - HEYYYYYY, Boy, HEYYYY! :) Its SOOO NICE. I missed it!!! A few weeks ago, I was at school, and there was a really skinny girl walking in front of me. We both passed these two guys, and as they passed me, I overheard them talking about how disgusting her toothpick legs were. I was relieved to realize they weren't talking about me :)

    Ahhhh..NYC :) Definately something to look forward to!!!

    Love you girly!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AHHH! hi!

    first of all THANK YOU so much for not only such sweet comments, but such an amazing shout out -- that seriously put a HUGE smile on my face, i can't express how much that means to me! =)

    glad you had a good time with the fam! and hooray for guilt-free froyo -- that stuff is TOO GOOD to feel bad about, seriously. and i LOVE that you got hit on by the guy at TJs, my good friend is like dating a guy she met there, so you never know right? plus you're gorgeous and he would be crazy not to make a move, right? right.

    hmm thats a really tough call regarding your cousin -- i see why you dont want to sound preachy, but why youre also deeply concerned and emotionally invested into the subject. i would just be as honest as possible, and really speak from the heart -- if you feel okay sharing your personal stories, she really might benefit from hearing about everything before she goes down a tough road herself! you're amazing for being so brave and for trying to help though!

    have a fantastic evening!!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. My advice would be to be as good a healthy role model you can be. She might not listen to you, but being a healthy model is probably the best thing. Hope all goes well! Let me know if there is anything I can do. You are NOT a lame blogger. I think you are an AWESOME blogger :)
    <3 jess
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jumping on a bit late, but glad that you had a good weekend and hope that the week is treating you well.
    I think the situation with the cousin is really hard, but what other people have said resonates with me. Be yourself, be open and honest.
    Very cool that you are looking forward to the trip to the East Coast!

    ReplyDelete