It's Friday, despite my thinking that yesterday was Wednesday! ha. There must have been something in the air yesterday because after an hour of finally catching up with every one's blogs on here, it seems like all of us had an "off" day, yesterday.
Yesterday was the first time since Christmas that I had a b&p episode. I felt like I had been doing great so I'm still trying to figure out what triggered it. There really wasn't too much of a binge involved either.. at least not like how it used to be during the "rough times".
It started in the morning with my hodgepodge breakfast of a little yogurt with cereal sprinkled on top and a piece of a bran muffin from Souplantation (yes, i absolutely took a mini-muffin in my purse from lunch there the other day! ha... in fact, i took 2!) Like I said in a previous post, my body this week has been more hungry than usual so around 11, I had some yogurt and cereal. Lunch at 12:30 was my Flatout wrap with PB2 and jelly (delicious but not filling). Afternoon snack was some mushrooms with a laughing cow cheese. Still not feeling full, I had a cup of Fage with some corn puffs around 4ish. I think I was so frustrated that I wasn't "full" but was still snacking that I cancelled happy hour plans with my friend so that I could go to the gym. I also felt guilty from not working out on Wednesday and sleeping through my am workout. Basically, let's just skip to the end. When I got home from work, I had some mushrooms and hummus, a tbsp. of PB2 and a cup of Fage. I kept snacking on the the rest of the fage and that was when it hit that I had just consumed way too much yogurt. I think it was more the fact that I was eating so mindlessly than the actual caloric intake. Frustration led to the "p"... Then I went to the gym for an hour to run myself back to a "clean slate"...
I'm really trying to look at the positive. What I did conclude though was that the b&p from yesterday didn't give me the rush/high that it used it. In fact, i just felt kind of "blah".. no excitement during the "b" or feelings of "i know i'm going to P, so i might as well have some more".. nope.. i just felt like it had been mindless eating and the perfectionist and recovery part of me was not okay with that.. especially because it feels like my breakfasts from this week have been the same way..too scattered and not organized.
It amazes me though how much a 'p' will rid yourself of not just the food, but also confidence. I felt like all the confidence and work I had gained went right into the toilet with everything else. Those emptiness feelings that were all too familiar were present the rest of the night as I tried to figure out what brought it on. However, I was uncomfortably honest and told my dad that I had an incident. This is the first time i've ever done that and I think it helped. He went through a kind-of checklist almost, to figure out what had been bothering me. We realized that part of it was being overwhelmed with all of my plans of getting ready for grad school and wanting to move abroad, but time passing so quickly that I can't seem to get a grip on it!.. seriously, how is it already April!? ri-donk-u-lous.
I also told my mom about it this morning during our daily phone call because we went to the gym together last night and I think she knew something was up. She had some good advice and was reassuring but I think it's hard for her to relate to the 'weight' part of it, as she used to struggle with just bulimia and not the anorexia part of it. Nevertheless, I think speaking up will be good in that 1. it's incredibly uncomfortable to admit i slipped, therefore will hopefully deter me from future ones and 2. to realize reaching out for help and having someone to "lean on" isn't a flaw... I think we are all so strong and independent with that whole "i can handle it myself" attitude that we forget that there are people who do care and want to help.
Anyway, after the gym, I was able to get to bed early and feel much better today... plus, I have on my new cardigan and yellow baseball tee that I got on sale in the girls section at Target yesterday! Hollerrrr for girls clothes being cheaper than juniors! It's just a matter of finding something that DOESN'T look like Hannah Montana or Hello Kitty threw up all over it! No offense if you're fans of the above!
I'm taking it easy-cheesy today and am treating myself to lunch. I'm going to the Asian market to get some veggies and tofu, and then going to the restaurant across the street from work which sells vegetarian Pho..with a VEGETARIAN broth! I was so upset when I found out that most places still use beef broth. vomit.
Enough rambling.. here are some pics from the last couple days...
Okay, Strawberry Yogurt O's soaked overnight in a cup of almond milk=amazing... plus they throw in a few yogurt (and i mean very few) yogurt clusters so when you come across one, it's like an orgasm. (sorry for the under aged readers).
I also got blackberries! I forgot how good these things are!
My afternoon snack for the last few days (since Sunday) when I had sprouts for the first time in a couple years and realized how delicious they were. It reminds me of the sandwiches from La Bou Cafe (all the norcal people will know that place! soo good!)
This, I was obsessed with-- I marinated some tofu in bbq sauce and made a flatout wrap with tofu, collard greens, onions and sprouts. After having La Tortillas and then Flatouts, i'm so much more a fan of the Flatouts! They are thicker and more like a bread.. Plus, Costco sells 3-packs for 6 dollars that have flax in them.
Aren't they cute?! I bought Loutus Root from the Asian market and popped them in the microwave with a little salt and peeper. The result= veggie chips. I highly recommend 'em!
I mixed it up with some butternut squash for my pre-dance snack. It kept me energized through 2, count em, 2 classes!
I hope that everyone's Friday is much better than yesterday!! Treat yourself to something! Lastly, thank you all so much for your support. I feel like I've made some amazing friends on this site and so appreciate how honest and supportive y'all are.
xoxo,
Laur
Hey Laur,
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you had a hard time with the b&p yesterday; but to have made it since Christmas without having an episode is a huge accomplishment! I know that it feels like you lost a ton of ground with that one slip up, but you have made SO much progress. When I finally decided to tell my mom that I struggled with b&p, I was so nervous and anxious that I almost didn't do it...but when the words finally came out, I felt such a profound sense of RELIEF, like that "behavior" had lost some of its power or control over me. I think sharing this with both of your parents is such a huge step, and I love that your dad took such a proactive approach in helping you identify what factors might have contributed so you can try to avoid them/find another way to cope in the future. I also agree that it's so important to realize that reaching out isn't a weakness or a flaw, but a sign of our strength - these are by NO means easy things to talk about.
Stay positive girl! If you ever want to chat, don't hesitate to send me an IM or an e-mail - I am on here entirely too much :)
Much love,
Elle
Hey sweets!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry about your b/p the other day. I completely know how you felt. It really sounds like you have made progress though. You went so long without a b/p and you realized when you felt overly full and stopped instead of continuing to eat. And you were honest with your parents and know that it's not about the food, that something triggered it.
And you have started today good, wanting to treat yourself and in a good mood and not restricting. I wish I had your strength.
Have a good weekend and take care!
Hey hun!
ReplyDeleteYou are AMAZING! Your comment on my blog seriously MADE MY DAY and i am going to take your advice about becoming a new and better me - not the ME that got walked on by some stupid guy that didnt realize how lucky he was to have me! his loss - not mine!
i am proud of you babe. Not about your b&p, but the fact that you are able to bounce back from it. Sometimes we need those falls to help us get the bounce back in our step. The fact that you didnt keep shoving things in, knowing that you were going to just throw it up anyways definately proves that you are beating ed, and meaning, it was more of a p, than a b&p, which is GOOOD! I was never really too much of a b&p-er but when I did it, I know what you mean about that sense of euphoria when you used to do it. it was so empowering to know that i could eat food and not gain weight. but in the couple of times i've purged in the past few years, i find myself eating less during a binge, feeling less guilty about doing it, and feeling guilty about purging.
And i know what you mean about having unorganized meals..it feels like im not sticking to my set plan and that makes me feel like im either going to eat something im going to feel bad about because im trying to compensate and make up for my set meal times, and then restrict of binge later. not cool.
wasn't it new years eve last night? i could've sworn it was. this year is FLYING. however, to tell you the truth, im kind of glad, considering the current break up situation. it helps when my days dont drag on forever, ya know? and its kind of reassuring to look back on all of the things that all of us have struggled with so far this year, and WOW, we've made it this far already!!
im proud of you for talking to both your dad and your mom about this - but especially your mom since she didnt want to offend you with trying to help through therapy. it really is tough to hang on to yourself and keep it all together, but sometimes the hardest part is letting other people in, especially the people that care about us and love us the most. i've never quite understood it, and it makes absolutely NO SENSE. but, it is the truth.
And heck yes for kids section! granted, i dont think i could fit into most of those clothes anymore if i tried, but an abercrombie kids XL shirt was always AT LEAST $20 cheaper than a small at abercrombie. :)
an email is on its way :) and thank you again! i appreciate it and i will definately be posting on how the book is changing ME for the better :)
just forget about yesterday love! that day has to be deleted from your life right NOW! i just hope/want you to get up this morning and have a nice and relaxing saturday, free of bad thoughts and i want you to do listen what your body needs :) i'm feeling positive about my recovery right now but i also feel positive about yours! you can do it girl! yesterday i had a bad day too but it's ok, we all have bad days!
ReplyDeletetoday i woke up and said to myself: i'm gonna listen my body and let it tell me what i need to do. so, i don't know how may day is gonna be but i'm motivated and that's very important!
please, think about YOU today, about your body, your mind, your needs, your health and you're gonna feel a lot better than yesterday :)
have a NICE GREAT AMAZING saturday my love <3
OMG TWIN! It's scary. Guess what I bought? PB2. From the only store in like a 100 mile radius that carries it. I also ordered a case online, but I just COULDN'T wait for them to get here in a week or so. I haven't had the stuff in a year! Don't know what brought on this "gotta have it now" urgency. But back to twinness: guess what I binged on today? Yup! I'm really sorry that you b&ped for the first time in a long time. But I think it's a great sign that you didn't feel the same loss of control and "high" that you used to. This binge you described (which hardly sounds like a binge at all, to be honest) just sounds like your body reacting out of fear of starvation. My dietitian always tells me that there is a difference between hunger and appetite, so maybe you were feeling a little bit of both or confused the signals. Like maybe you weren't necessarily HUNGRY after you ate, but your appetite still wasn't SATISFIED because you didn't eat exactly what your body wanted or you had been restricting earlier in the week or whatever. Or maybe you were just plain old hungry, because your metabolism is speeding up and your body needs more fuel! Who knows? Either way, I'm SO PROUD of you for how you handled the "aftermath" of the episode. I really admire you for reaching out to your parents and letting them know what happened so that they can support you. I hope you had fun at dance!
ReplyDeleteOh and another soulmate thing: when I read some of the things you say, I can HEAR myself saying the exact same thing! Like when you wrote about the pho and you said..."vomit" I just laughed so hard! I ALWAYS express my disgust by saying "vomit/ew yuck/oh barf" and my friends think I'm such a goober! I'm glad I'm not the only one who flings those kinds of words around! PS which viet restaurant serves ALL veggie pho? I NEVER order it b/c I'm so scared of the hidden beef broth! LOl OH and if you get the chance, go up to Little Saigon and try out the vegetarian restaurants! They make AWESOME stuff!
hi girlie
ReplyDeleteim sorry you had a b/p episode, but dont be too hard on yourself. i too used to b/p..but it only started properly and more consistently when i began recovery because i felt so lost and like i was never going to be better so i used it as a coping tool. it took me a long time to stop, but in the past year i can say ive succesfully stopped..but i have had 2 slip ups..and you know what.its ok because i realizzed why they occured...often when we react a certain way to something ( like purging after eating too much)we programme ourselves to expect a reaction...then when we finally break free from the behavior, everything seems ok, but then if we feel we have eatin too much and it feels like a binge we automatically think i must purge, because thats what we used to do. we dont give ourselves enough time to process what just happened and to form a new reaction. am i making sense? well anyways hun, tomoros a new day, theres always a chance to start fresh.
keep fightin girlie
xxxx
I am sorry about the b&p episode. but not having any slips since christmas is really really great. You should be really proud of yourself for that. I am really proud of you for telling your parents, that is a huge step forward. You can do this. Today is a new day. Stay strong
ReplyDeleteSorry for the rough day. I'm glad you got a chance to talk with your mom about it and reflect on things a bit. I will be thinking of you and praying for you as you continue your road to recovery. :-)
ReplyDeleteButterscotch chips are so great! I love adding them to my oats for a little sweetness.
I actually use generic bbq sauce from the grocery. It is really not the best for you, but I figure I don't use too much of it, so it's not a huge deal. I want to try other kinds, too. Some people in the blog world like Bone Suckin' Sauce, so I might try that.
Thanks for the congrats!
Have a great Saturday!
I'm sorry you fell off the wagon - but slipping up is completely normal in recovery, the thing that matters is picking yourself up again afterwards. You did amazingly well going so long without b/ping, and it's great that it didn't feel the same this time too. I hope you've been able to get back on track today :)
ReplyDeletehey love-- sorry you are havin a bit of a rough time... but in my opinion it seems like you were TRULY hungry yesterday-- personally i wouldnt qualify what happened to you as a "binge" i think a binge is a short episode of consuming LOTS of food very quickly-- i have definitely had these in my past. there is nothing wrong with eating mindlessly throughout the day every now and again-- in fact i think thats pretty normal
ReplyDeleteim glad you are feeling much better today though. i bet you look cute in your new clothes!! :) xoxoxo j
first of all, don't ever beat yourself up for a little slip-up. a few slip-ups are to be expected during the process of recovery. it's all part of the recovery, actually. but I think it'll be good to reflect on what caused you to binge on the first place, and avoid that again. so you learn from your mistakes. so you face another new day tomorrow with a bright new confidence and hope that today, will be successful.
ReplyDeletebtw, thanks for the lotus root tip! I just happened to have some in my fridge and I have no idea to cook it, and now I've got to try your microwave "chip" idea!
I just came across your blog and love it!
ReplyDeletePlease don't be hard on yourself about the slipup. Just collect yourself and move along!
I have been looking out for the lotus roots at my grocery stores forever. I love the idea of making the veggie chips, my Mom pickles them and they taste sooo divine!
aw, i'm sorry about your rough day! definitely don't let one bad day put you down. i have to use the "forgive and forget" rule with myself a lot when I do things that the perfectionist side of me doesnt approve of. just forgive yourself, you're only human, and forget about it. tomorrow can always be better :)
ReplyDeletePB2, yumyumyum!