Sorry for being MIA the last few days!! It was a busy weekend and my brother arrived yesterday to spend his spring break down here.
Irony: I went home sick from work yesterday because I was throwing up from nausea. I think it's funny how I would have no problem "P" after a "B", but the second that I have to throw up from actual stomach flu, I can't stand it and just want it to stop! I'm sure it revolves around that whole control factor! Anyway, I'm wondering if I have some sort of flu or if it's from my breakfast the last two days: I added an egg white to my oatmeal before zapping it in the microwave.. do you think it could be from the egg not cooking all the way? I also had some PB2 but i'm pretty sure the PB scare/recall is over!
If it wasn't my breakfast though, i'll be repeating this morning's breakfast tomorrow because it was so good! No picture but I took 1 cup of spaghetti squash with 1 egg white, some cinnamon, sugar and earth balance.. microwaved that baby and sprinkled a few raisins and almonds on top.
My mom is going to a Passover dinner (her bf is Jewish) so I made her some flourless cookies:

Flourless almond cookies

Flourless chocolate and walnut cookies from Self Magazine
Please tell me if this would annoy you girls or if I'm just making too big of a deal:
When my mom said she was going to this passover dinner and had to bring some desserts, I offered to make some for her since I love to bake! She said great. I said great. Thought that was pretty clear communication. So I went to the store Monday to get all the ingredients.
On my way home Monday, I call her to say hi and tell her I was on my way home to make the desserts. Where was she, you ask?? At a Jewish bakery ordering desserts for the Passover dinner. ummm, huh?! I felt offended because we had ALREADY discussed me helping her out by making them AND i already bought all the stuff. So i felt like she didn't trust that mine would be good enough... The EXACT same thing happened with Christmas dinner. I told her that i really didnt understand where the miscommunication was because i thought we were very clear!
I was also annoyed because she wanted me to cancel my therapy appointment so that I could attend the Passover dinner that her boyfriends parents invited me to.
-I'm not jewish
-I barely know these people
-I dont really have an interest in going!
-I think it's selfish to ask me to cancel a Tx appointment, especially when she was the one that stressed that I go every week to conquer ed! I also didn't have an appt last week because my therapist was on vacation.
-Lastly, I already switched my appointment from Thursday to Wednesday, as requested by my mom, so that we could hang out with my brother and all cook dinner.
Thankfully, I think she recognized this and sent me this email:
Guess selfishly I was also proud of having you be at passover w/ Jay and family as my daughter to meet his family's friends if you were able to come…lots going on tho with juggling schedules but just wanted you to know that. Thanks for making the cookies and cake! U will be there in spirit. Love you, mom
The situation still annoys me a little because I don't think she'll change when it comes to pleasing others (her bf, always!) instead of recognizing what is the healthiest option. Oh well.
I made up for it with this delicious bowl of veggies and shirataki noodles and garlic hummus. Complimented with some toasted Flatout bread.. a little too toasty though ;) Kiki didn't mind!

Anyway, time to get some work done so I wish all of you ladies the best and a happy hump day!!
Hi girly! I was wondering where you disappeared to...I'm so happy your brother will be down there for the week! I'm so sorry you've been sick! I heard the flu is still going strong in CA...there was actualyl an article about it on yahoo's home page! It's definitely not the PB2..their peanuts weren't affected by the recall, i checked :)
ReplyDeleteYou're not making a big deal, I'd be so annoyed too! There was no reason for your mom to misunderstand that you were going out of your way to bake for the passover dinner! It was such a nice thing for you to do, so it probably feels insulting that she decided to pick up dessert from a bakery anyway...as if yours wasn't good enough! (I'm sure your cookies are effing awesome, btw! I saw that flourless chocolate walnut cookie in SELF too!)
And what the heck? Skip therapy? UH, no. If you were Jewish, sure. But you're not! And it doesn't sound like you're close with her bf anyway, so there's really no reason why you should feel obligated to go! I'm glad she recognized that it wasn't the right thing to do and sent you that email though.
Mmm that veggie bowl looks SO GOOD! I thought it was soup at first, like an amped up bowl of pho or something! YUM!
Have a great Wednesday, my dear! And when we finally meet..we are SO getting iced soy lattes :) (unless it's cold, in which case we'll just get regular soy lattes haha)
Aw, I'm sorry you've been sick :( I am phobic of being sick so I sympathise hugely! Stomach bugs are a nightmare. I hope you feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteI don't suppose you could send me the recipe for those flourless cookies could you? I have dairy/wheat allergies so I'm always looking out for new recipes, and those cookies look really good!
Im glad you're starting to feel better girl! I was beginning to think you'd fallen off the face of the earth! im pretty sure the pb recall is over..and i dont know, can powdered peanut butter get...defected? haha.
ReplyDeletewow! that would piss me off SO much. i can kind of understand, maybe thinking that you wouldn't make the desserts perfectly, but SAY 'well, i think im just going to get them at the bakery' instead o leading you to believe that she would be delighted to have you make the desserts. and if she was looking forward to having you attend the dinner with her, wouldnt it excite her to be able to tell everyone that you made the desserts? it sounds like she's trying to impress her boyfriend/his family wayy too much. :(
as for the dinner, i dont blame you for not going. 1) you have therapy, and that is important in the steps to recovery, and 2) i am not jewish, and would feel very strange in that type of dinner setting. this is important to her, not you. therapy and recovery is important to you, and it is definately more important than hanging out with your mom's boyfriends family. if they get married, well, i guess you'll have to do it at some point, but for now, FOCUS ON YOU! :)
so did she end up taking the things you made?
have a fabulous day, girlie!!
was wondering where you had vanished to!
ReplyDeleteI think PB2 was always safe, and you can eat egg whites raw so I doubt either of them are the culprit. Hope you feel better soon!
I'm sorry about the mom/Passover situation. I'd be hurt too but it's the exact kind of thing my mom would do! Don't sweat it too much- we can't control other people, all we can control is how we respond to them/situations and it sounds like you are dealing with it in a positive way by writing/sharing rather than stewing over it and getting more wound up.
I am impressed by your baking skills- all the passover stuff I have ever baked looks and tastes like mashed potato (in my defense, I used potato flour :P)
Hey sweetie~
ReplyDeleteSorry you haven't been feeling well. I hope you start on the mend soon. I know you are frustrated about the situation with your mother and passover -- I would definately be upset and on edge about that as well. The baked goods do look wonderful though and your mom and her boyfriend's family will be lucky to have them!!!
Take Care!
I was sick for four days. My brothers and mom have been sick too. i am glad you are going to keep your therapy appointment. I think its much more important that you go to therapy than to a dinner with people you dont know that well. I hope you feel better soon. Love love love
ReplyDelete