Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Coachella Extravaganza

COACHELLA
Highlights:
  • My trendy chic Uncle and his partner took my BFF, brother and myself to Coachella last weekend. First time at Coachella and first time at a concert with him... so much fun!
  • The people!! Man oh man, people watching at the festival was almost better than the music.. SO many interesting and extravagently dressed people. I loved it.
  • Some of the besties of the music lineup I saw were: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Peter Bjorn & John, The Cure, Lupe Fiasco, Devendra Banhart
  • The guys were there since Friday night but my friend Courtney and I drove out there just for Sunday... I think i need to work myself up to 3 days for next year because 1 day alone was exhausting!!
  • Since pictures can sometimes explain more than words, here are a few of the pics:


These kids ran up to me and gave me a "Free hug and kiss".. interesting


Yeah Yeah Yeahs



You have to love this girl for rockin the gold nylon leotard!


My Uncle (right) and his bf (who used to be Prince Charming for Disney! how cute, right!?)







Loved this.



They had tons of awesome light shows once the sun went down. THis was a metal dragon thing with buttons that would make flames come out.


One of the freak shows...


Yeah.... about that.





At night, those poles had flames coming out..
All in all, it was a pretty good weekend. There were some awkward ED moments with my BFF. She is naturally tiny and one of the few people that I confided in about my ED over xmas when I was visiting home. I think she was trying to make me feel comfortable by commenting on 'healthy food choices' etc, but it actually did the opposite. I've been trying not to THINK about food and calorie intake so to have someone talk about it, brought all of that obsessing back. She was telling me how she was proud of herself because she resisted a donut at work the other day, and i love this girl but I dont want to talk about restricting because one of the key points of recovery is "everything in moderation".. I tried explaining that and mindful eating. I even lied (oops, white lie though) saying that I would let myself induldge in a donut but make sure I truly enjoy every bit of it and then will readjust my next meal to be a bit healthier to make up for it. We all know that I am not at the recovery point to let myself eat a deep fried sugar piece of bread but it got my point across ;)
Aside from that, it was really nice to have someone from home come to visit.. OC can be pretty lonely sometimes and this forced me not to isolate myself (especially since she stayed with me! haha)
Looking forward to next year's festival and this summer's concert season!!!


5 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Yeah Yeah Yeahs!!!! So so jealous! Glad you had fun!

    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw some of those booty shorts at Pride last weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG awesome pics! Um and how great are trendy gay uncles? They seriously know how to have a good time! (p.s. my favorite gay uncle lives in France...that gives him double cool points right?) That girl in the leotard looks straight out of an American Apparel ad! It must have been pretty frustrating/triggering to deal with those "food choice" comments from your biffy. I'm sure she didn't mean to upset you, but it just goes to show that the threshold for what passes as "normal" body/calorie talk is set WAY TOO HIGH! Sometimes I feel like recovery has conditioned me to be really intolerant of those types of comments, and made me hold people to a ridiculously high standard, but I really do wish we could just ERASE all of that obsessiveness from the world and make people realize how harmful it is! One of my favorite quotes is: "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." I guess right now we can only do so much to change the way other people talk/think about diet and weight, so until the rest of the world catches up with our highly evolved selves (ha!), we just have to work really hard on cementing our OWN beliefs and positive way of thinking! I'm glad you didn't go for the whole three days this year...too freakin hot! Definitely an energy zapper, but hopefully next year you'll be up for the task =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your pictures are incredible! I am sooo jealous, it looks like it was such a wonderful time. I saw Lupe perform with Kayne at Lollapalooza and I just love him - his voice is so smooth and eloquent-sounding. I can't believe your uncle's partner was Prince Charming...that is awesome.
    I'm sorry that your friend's comments about your food choices were frustrating. I really believe that some people just don't have the ability to grasp what a struggle we have with food...sometimes, the best thing for them to say is nothing at all. And her comment about "resisting the donut" at work is really upsetting - I'm glad that you handled it so graciously, even if you did tell a little white lie in the process. I think that was probably the best thing you could have done to get your point across to her...for you, food = medicine, not something that you need others to constantly evaluate/comment on.

    Sorry for not doing a better job of keeping up with your posts; I've been hard pressed for time trying to keep up with all of my ridiculous end of the semester projects.
    I'm glad you had such a fantastic time!
    Much love,
    Elle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it looks like an amazing festival! The photos are so cool :) I love people watching at these things too.
    It sounds like you handled your friends comments really well. It's sad that so many people have weird attitudes towards food, I don't think anyone gets to their deathbed and thinks damn, I shouldn't have eaten that donut back in 2009!

    ReplyDelete