Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Gettin' figgy with it..

Cheesy, i know... but you can blame Mister Will Smith for that one ;)

It's been a fig-filled week! It all started with Saturday's farmers market where I decided to buy 1/2 pound of dried figs for $3. It sounded like a good deal and I wanted to experiment with replicating the YouBars recipe for "Date with Chocolate" because let's face it-- I just dont have the money to be spending $2 on a protein bar that includes 4 ingredients: dates, honey, cocoa, protein powder.

Last night, i finally came up with a energy/protein bar recipe using dates and figs that I approve of! The camera pic is so not appealing but you'll just have to make them yourself to see that they are delicious, healthy, and idiot-proof!


Youbars.com calls their version "Date with Chocolate" so mine is going to be a "Date with Chocolate AND Figs"... booya! Here's the recipe:
2 Tbsp. Honey
2Tbsp. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (or protein powder if you desire)
1/2 cups assorted figs and dates ( i used 3 of each)
1 cup of nuts or cereal (I used puffed rice but almonds or granola would've worked too!)
1 1/2Tbsp. fig and date water (the hot water that I soaked the fruit in before blending)
Soak figs and dates in boiling water for 5-10 minutes while you get everything else ready. Put them in the food processor and then mix with other ingredients. Either bake at 350 for 20 minutes or I suppose you could leave in dehydrator if you desire.
I keep mine in the freezer for a chewy morning dessert.. yeah, that's right, i used "dessert" and "morning" in the same sentence!
THEN, while spending way too much money roaming the isles of Target, I came across these babies at the end of the isle with clearance! They are so yummy and blow chocolate covered raisins out of the water! I'm heading to a different Target tonight to see if I can scope out some more!
I looked up their website and apparently, they have figbars too which look pretty tempting, along with mint flavored chocolates, too!

Earlier this week, I also hit up Trader Joe's for my weekly groceries for work. I saw a can of "Cuban Style Black Beans" and decided to try them...

Omg, they are sooooo good! Everyone who likes black beans/vegetarian food/cheap eats/high fiber/high protein meals NEEDS to go pick up a can of these for a mere dollar! One can lasted this girl 5 meals. Holllller! ha.

This always happens---i make myself a snack and it ends up being so good that I go back for more and end up making it a full meal. Needless to say, my pre-dinner snack of Mushrooms "nachos" with black beans, green onions, VegShreds Jalapeno and Cheddar flavor "cheese" with Everything Pretzels from TJs, turned into my actual dinner 3 plates later! The next night, i decided to just make myself a full serving so I didn't have to keep visiting the kitchen...

Yes, it looks like a pile of ****, but it was so good and hit the spot! I also didn't measure out my "cheese".. I know i consumed way more than one serving but I just didn't care because taste trumped nutritional info!
Let's see, what else...
Weighed myself this morning for the first time since I had the flu when I had dropped 6 lbs.. Definitely gained it all back and had a mere freak-out moment... Trying to remind myself that there's light at the end of the tunnel which consists of being able to go bra shopping again (!!) but let's just say that the numbers totally screw with my head and ED comes knocking again.
I'm headed tonight to Whole Foods to take advantage of my Oikos coupons!!! can't wait.
Also, I got an email from Supermarket Guru and about this new Tempt Ice Cream and these patties and am eager to try them. Wondering if y'all have tried them and have any reviews?
I've been in kind of a introspective mood lately and although I love keeping up with everyone's blogs, i just haven't felt the energy to post much or journal about what's been going on.. Just kind of a blah week while trying to juggle those little curve balls that life throws at you! Trying to balance out my own feelings with eating more/gaining more/trying to ignore Ed/etc!!
I also realized how to sum up my current boy situation in 3 words: "Read Jaime's Blog".. hahah I feel the exact same way she does and share the very same viewpoint regarding the need for space! With that said, I've been ignoring the phone calls/texts/etc and closing myself off like I always seem to do. I think when it's time, I'll know. In the mean while, I'm perfectly content being on my own :)
Happy Hump Day, Ladies... Hope the rest of the week treats you all well!

12 comments:

  1. Yummy eats. I am sorry weighing yourself was difficult but you are right, there is a light at the end of this tunnel. Stay strong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear! Once again, thank you for the goodies!!! :)

    Good for you for making your own recipes for the Date with Chocolate (& FIGS!) i never have the patience to find/figure out my own recipes & actually sit down and make them.

    im the SAME way with my snacks..especially when it comes to salads lately. i have one for a snack, and just keep going back for more, and boom, i've had a meal! im thinking maybe its POSSIBLY better that way though, because then you're getting in a snack, and a dinner, so you're not shoving everything in at one time, and then maybe we're not eating as much quite as late? lol idk.

    PLLLEASE dont beat yourself up over the slight gain girl! I had the flu for 2 days when we went to florida, and weighed a VERY low number when we got home, and within a few days, i'd went up nine pounds and then i lost another 5. your body is probably still in shock so im sure you're fine babe!

    i just read jamie's post - and in a sense, i am glad to say that i am becoming more like that. im realizing how important it is to worry about myself and my happiness instead of getting addicted to having that boy there! the current 'crush' is exactly like that - wanting to come see me in between EVERY class and wanting to meet up so he can tell me 'bye' and texting me constantly..even at 3am to tell me he cant sleep. wtf? girl needs her beauty sleep!!! :) im very proud of you for being perfectly fine on your own - its so important to be independent and not let a guy have control over you! and thanks to your encouragement, the other girls encouragement, and this book's help, i think i am slowly wiggling my way to that position :)

    i hope you have a wonderful rest of the week doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TWINSY!

    You're beyond amazing for posting this fig bar recipe! You should make your own company..."Laurenbars," because we don't have nearly enough Lunas and Laras that sound freakishly similar =)

    Those Cuban Black Beans look like chocolate covered raisins to me! I guess I'm in that mindset from reading about your chocolate figgy goodness! (love the WIll Smith reference btw, such a throwback lol)

    I've tried the Figamajig bars! They're not vegan..too bad...but they're really good! They have one with almonds in it, nom. I found mine at Whole Foods, might be worth a gander!

    I was WORRIED about you, when I read about your flu sickiness I was thinking "um, there's no WAY she has been keeping up with the weight gain that she so desperately NEEDS!!" But I'm so so relieved to hear that you're healthier now, I know it's scary to see a # jump like that but I'm so glad that you let the freak-out moment pass and are just focusing on the benefits! Yay bras (and none of the lame ones designed for 12 year olds!)

    Sorry it's been a blah week..that seems to be the general vibe around the blogworld! Also bummer that the boy is too clingy..YUCK! I'm much the way you two are..I get freaked out/annoyed by excessive communication from boys, it's NOT FLATTERING it's just obnoxious! Lol.

    I PROMISE I'll email you back. Cross my heart, yada yada, it might take me till this weekend but I swear I'll get back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah thanks for the shout girl :) sooo funny how similar we are.

    love the bars you made-- sounds soo cool! do not stress over the weight n #s-- i know easier said than done-- but you want to be healthy girl! i'm so proud of you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. those bars look great! The figamajig bars kept catching my eye in the store but the only times I have ever tried figs were in the form of fig newtons in treatment which put me off! The rest of your food looks delicious too :)

    sorry you got triggered by weighing- it screws with your head so much even though you KNOW that post-flu was likely fluid shifts, etc and now you are back where you were pre-flu. Hope today is going better for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, those bars look lovely! Well done you :) I keep meaning to experiment with making bars too.
    I'm sorry that the scales freaked you out. Don't forget that you were probably really dehydrated when you had the flu, so most of the gain is probably rehydration. I can't wait to go bra shopping again either :P it's no fun looking like a boy!
    I hope your mood lifts a bit soon <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Jaime's blog too :)

    Thanks for posting the recipe for your creation!
    Love always,
    Lex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey sweets~

    So all of the food looks amazing. i love the idea for the fig bars and will have to try those. Also I love black beans so I will have to hit up TJ's to try the cuban style.

    I totally understand teh 'balh' feeling -- that's how I have been most of this week. But today the sun came out and I was feeling much better. Funny how the weather has such an impact on our moods.

    I hope your Thursday is going well. Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mushroom nachos? such a good idea girl!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those fig energy bars look fantastic! I will def have to try those.

    I love Target...I always wind up walking out with all sorts of random finds; it's amazing. :-)

    Thinking of you during this introspective time..sometimes it's just good to take a break and reflect. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG I love black beans, they are soo good with like tomatoes and cilantro! YUMM and they have all those good things you said, putting them in a pita with a little sour cream makes a great meal alternative too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HEY! OMG I have had those Figamajig things andd I got them at Target too....I forgot about those...Healthy M&M's in a way! MUST hunt those down next time Im there!!

    ReplyDelete